Mandatory contents for your travel first aid kit
Put together your travel first aid kit in good time. Remember first of all to take a sufficient amount of your personal medicaments – they may be hard to get hold of abroad. The basic components of a travel first aid kit are the same as for a home first aid kit – but they may have to be adapted to your destination:
- Gauze compresses
- Bandage scissors
- Plasters and bandages
- Elastic roll plaster for securing
- Triangular bandage
- A breakable thermometer made of glass is unsuitable
- In regions where yellow fever and dengue fever occur, blood-thinning painkillers are unsuitable – acetaminophen is better.
- Medicine to treat travel sickness
- Medicine to treat diarrhea, such as loperamide
- Sun cream
- Insect repellent – especially important in risk areas. The active ingredient DEET is recommended.
- Malaria tablets
- In remote areas you may need syringes, cannulas, and infusion sets